Associated measures other than medications
Measures that do not involve specific drugs are also recommended:
- Your doctor may prescribe a specific diet. It should not be too restrictive and will be adapted for each patient's specific case.
- Regular physical activity is highly recommended in order to limit the risk of muscle wasting, weight gain and osteoporosis caused by corticosteroids.
- In the case of long-term corticosteroid therapy, please make sure your eyes are regularly checked.
- Blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol and triglyceride levels are regularly monitored in patients undergoing long-term cortisone treatment. If hypertension, diabetes or increased lipid levels arise, your doctor can prescribe appropriate diet or treatment.
- A discontinuation of cortisone therapy is usually very gradual to minimize the risk of adrenal insufficiency.
lastest update : May 08 2015